CinéFemme Features: Experimental FilmsCinéFemme Films from Eressos, Greece, home of Sappho.
Since 1997 I have made films in Eressos, on the island of Lesbos. These are collaborative efforts with islanders and travelers. Two are mythological journeys contextualized with film clips from Maya Deren's At Land, Alien, Jaws and Bergman's The Seventh Seal . Both made in Eressos, Lesbos in Greece during the summers of 1997 and 1998:
- At Land Too (1997) inspired by the film At Land (1945) by American avant-garde filmmaker Maya Deren. Includes the so called 'lesbian scene' which has inspired a wave of lesbian iconography 25 years after Deren's death in 1961, including the work of Barbara Hammer. At Land Too is a modern saga made with the infamous Gaul beach lesbians - "Salopes de la Mer". Featuring "Rock Time", and "The Dirty Old Man on the Beach".
- Vagina Dentata (1998) is made with Teutonic and Anglosaxon beach lesbians and concerns the myth of a vagina with teeth. Modern films such as Jaws and Alien have reproduced the saga and given teeth a bad reputation. Featuring the original Vagina Dentata tribe at Eressos, starring H.R.C.,and a flock of dancing Grecian urns. 10 seconds shown on Canal Plus 1998.
Selected for Bay Area Burning Man Film Festival, and projected from a VCR on the roof of a car against a garage. Paris has 400 screenings (séances) a week. I remember a book for young Francophiles where the kids on the block projected a film against a sheet on a garage years ago.
- The Lunchmaker , (1999) Featuring Antipodes lesbians. A sea nymph serves up two mermaids from the sea who each do a dance.
- Shadows (2001) Two shadows, survivors of a shipwreck, saunter along Sappho's beach.
- Sappho Postcards (2002) Viking lesbians recite poems by Sappho in her garden. This is a spoof on a Swedish filmmaker named Roy Andersson noted for his deadpan long takes of meaningless uncomfortable silence. Featuring virtually brain dead lesbians.
- Les Lesbiennes Terribles (2004) Two mischievous lesbians meet up with a mercenary driver. When good things happen to misfits.
- The True Story of Antiope (2005) Featuring Les Parents Terribles. Lykos and Dirce take away Antiope's home and children, and later suffer a horrible fate. Featuring coral reefs, goat herd(er) and a brood of hungry birds.
- Million Dollar Panties (2005) Inspired by outdoor laundry lines and adopted headgear on Skala Eressos and Sigri.
- Hypnerotomachia Nausika: Nausika's Struggle for Love in a Dream (2009). Boston Underground Film Festival. Filmed in Sigri, Lesvos.
- WORLD PREMIERE! On the Highway with My Girlfriend (Stockholm, Sweden. 5 minutes). Director: Moira Sullivan. Selected for Denver Underground Film Festival. 2005.
- Et in Arcadia Ego - Poussin and the Elegiac Tradition, 2009.
- The Buddhacator, 2009 what can happen upon an awakening.
- Art of Decluttering for the Summer Solstice, 2009. What we leave behind that wasn't worth saving.
- The Queer Palm Death Quest, Cannes, 2012. What we leave behind that others want when we are dead.
- SoKo in San Francisco accepting the Twisted Palm. SoKo was in San Francisco to pick up the award she deserves from Cannes, 2012.
SoKo at Bottom of the Hill, San Francisco, June 2012
©Moira Jean Sullivan